Johnson County, Arkansas

Detention Center

Circuit Clerk—Monica King



Domestic Relations Division

The Johnson County Circuit Clerk’s Office maintains the records for the Domestic Relations Division of Circuit Court. In the Domestic Relations Division, cases are initiated by the filing of a complaint/petition by the Plaintiff. A case may also be initiated by a transfer from another jurisdiction. Types of Domestic Relations cases are: Divorce, Annulment, Separate Maintenance, Custody/Visitation, Child Support, Paternity, Domestic Abuse, Contempt and Body Attachments.  In order to file a domestic relations case, it is $165.00 for the filing fee and you must provide and complete the legal forms.  We are simply the keeper of the records.   If the forms are incorrect the Judge could dismiss the case.  Our office strongly recommends consulting with an attorney. 

Domestic records may be accessed at any time at


Civil Division

The Johnson County Circuit Clerk’s Office maintains the records for the Civil Division of Circuit Court. In the Civil Division a court action is initiated by the filing of a complaint/petition by the Plaintiff. Examples of the specific types of cases filed in the Civil Division are: Negligence, Bad Faith, Fraud, Malpractice, Product Liability, Contract Issues, Foreclosures, Quiet Title, Injunction, Partition, Condemnation, Replevin, Declaratory Judgment, Unlawful Detainer, Incorporations, Foreign Judgments, Administrative Appeals, Property Forfeitures, Removal of Disabilities and Name Changes.

Civil records may be accessed at any time at


Criminal Division

The Johnson County Circuit Clerk’s Office maintains the records for the Criminal Division of Circuit Court. A court action is initiated in criminal court by the filing of an Information by the Prosecuting Attorney. The Information is a formal accusation of crime. The Information must be accompanied by an Affidavit showing cause for the issuance of the Information and/or a bench warrant. A cause of action may also be initiated by a Grand Jury indictment or may be filed as an appeal from an inferior court (i.e. district court).

Criminal records may be accessed at any time at


Juvenile Division

The Johnson County Circuit Clerk’s Office maintains the records for the Juvenile Division of the Circuit Court. Juvenile records are not open to the public. Records may only be accessed by the attorneys of record or by governmental agencies involved in the case.

In the Juvenile Division, proceedings shall be commenced by the filing of a petition with the Circuit Clerk’s Office or by a transfer from another court. There are two basic types of Juvenile cases: family in need of services and dependency-neglect.

We do not and cannot provide legal advice or legal counsel on any matters handled in the Circuit Clerks Office.



In the Circuit Clerks office, we handle all of the recording of the land records, liens, and bonds.  There are several fees associated with the filing of these documents, as follows:

Pursuant to Act 615 of 2007 effective July 31, 2007 filing fees will be as follows:

1.   For recording Deeds, Deeds of Trust, Mortgages, Release Deeds, and Powers of Attorney the filing fee will be: $15.00 for first page $5.00 for each additional page.

2.    For recording Mortgage Assignments, Mortgage Releases, and other Instruments when multiple instruments are listed in a single document, an additional fee per instrument will be: $15.00 per instrument listed, not to exceed $300.00.

3.   For recording Plats, Survey Plats, Notary Bonds, Foreign Judgments, Writs of Execution, Writs of Garnishment, Materialman’s Liens, and Other Recordable Instruments, except as otherwise noted filing fee will be:  $15.00 for first page   $ 5.00 for each additional page.




General Guidelines

General Guidelines

Please understand and assist us in the following to insure your document(s) are indexed correctly.

•Make sure your filings are accurate; we file what you provide
•Documents must be Original, clear and legible
•We do not interpret documents
•Convey the instruments the way you want your property conveyed

We do not and cannot provide legal advice or legal counsel on any matters handled in the Circuit Clerks Office.



Welcome! I know from personal experience that a summons for jury duty raises many concerns about how you will be able to fit the civic obligation of jury duty into your busy life. Without you, the jury system cannot work the way the authors of the Constitution wanted. Your public service as a juror protects our right to have a trial by an impartial jury. Everyone has questions. "Why must I serve?" "How long must I serve?" "Can I get a postponement?" "Who pays the jury fee?" "What should I tell my employer?"  "What are my obligations as an employer of a juror?” Some simply ask: "Why me? “Over and over, jurors who have served tell us they enjoy being involved in making an important civic decision. Often jury service is the most direct participation the average citizen can have in the workings of government. It is my intent to help you with some of these frequently asked questions by information provided. Please remember it is not a substitute for the Judge’s instructions but is provided to help you understand Johnson County's procedures. I extend my sincere appreciation for your jury service and trust you will find your experience rewarding.

I thank you in advance for your service to Johnson County, Monica King - Johnson County Circuit Clerk.

Arkansas Law requires the following qualifications:

1. Johnson County Registered Voter
2. 18 years of age or older
3. Citizen of the United States
4. Resident of Johnson County Arkansas
5. Sound mind and good moral character
6. Able to read and write the English language
7. Must not have served as a juror in Johnson County in the last two years
8. Must not have been convicted of a felony that has not been pardoned or expunged 

Only a Judge can excuse a person from jury service. A person may be excused if the court finds that either the state of the juror’s interests or those of the public will be materially injured by the juror’s attendance. 

The law does not allow a person to be excused for economic reasons or business reasons. Nurses, doctors, teachers, and police officers are not exempt or disqualified because of their professions. However, you may speak to the Judge in the Court to your particular situation but there are no guarantees that you will be excused. 


How did my name get chosen?

The Johnson County Judges have chosen to use the Enhanced List of Prospective Jurors, compiled by the Secretary of State.  This process is done at a random pull of the entire database, excluding those that have served in the last two years in Johnson County, Arkansas. Then at the Circuit Clerk's direction, the computer randomly draws names from the master list to be qualified for a term of service. This process happens every four months.

Payment of Services

Jurors will complete their term of service and be paid with one check. 
For example, if you serve on more than one trial you will not be paid until the end of the term.
Checks are run one time for the entire term of service. 
You should receive your payment within three weeks after the term ends.


Pay is set by the State of Arkansas and the Quorum Court of Johnson County.

Jurors seated to hear the trial are paid $50.00/day. 
Those who report but are not selected are paid $15.00/day. 

Length of Service

Due to the number of jurors summoned, most jurors will generally appear one or two times during his/her term, but this is dependent on the number of trials conducted. The Circuit Clerk attempts to maintain a large base for selection so no juror is called repeatedly.

Terms of Service for each year are as follows:
January 1st – April 30th      May 1st – August 31st      September 1st – December 31st 

To contact the Circuit Clerk regarding your jury service, please call (479)754-2977 or email at



Criminal Support Division:

Circuit Clerk collects payments for the Criminal Courts including; collection of fines, penalties, restitution and costs. Payments may be made in the Courthouse at 215 West Main Street, Clarksville, AR 72830 - Room #101 or sent by mail to PO Box 189, Clarksville, AR 72830. Please be sure the name and case number are included with your payment. You may also pay by credit/debit card with a 3% fee.

The Circuit Clerk's office cannot make any changes to your restitution payment schedule. Please contact your attorney.


Child Support Division:

The Johnson County Circuit Clerk’s Office maintains the records for the Registry of the Court. Duties include keeping a record of child support payments ordered by the Court to be paid through the Registry. Payments may be made in the Courthouse at 215 West Main Street, Clarksville, AR 72830 - Room #101 or sent by mail to PO Box 189, Clarksville, AR 72830. Please be sure the name and case number are included with your payment. You may also pay by credit/debit card with a 3% fee.

Assessor—Rusty Hardgrave

What the Assessor’s Office Does not do:

The Assessor does not raise or lower taxes. The assessor does not make the laws which affect property owners. The Constitution of the State of Arkansas, was adopted by the voters, provides the basic framework for taxation, and tax laws are made by the Arkansas Legislature.  The rules and regulations for assessment are set by the Arkansas Assessment Coordination Division.  The tax dollars are levied by the taxing bodies, such as school districts, county roads, etc. and are collected by the collector’s office. The assessor’s office has nothing to do with the total amount of taxes collected.  The assessor’s primary responsibility is to find the “Fair Market Value” of your property so that you may pay only your fair share of the taxes.  The amount of taxes you pay is determined by a “Millage Rate” applied to your properties assessed value. 

The millage rate is the basis for the budget needed on demand by the voters to provide for services such as schools, roads, law enforcement, etc.  Millage rates are simply those rates which will provide funds to pay for those services. 


Q-How is your assessment determined?

A-   To arrive at “Fair Market Value” for your property, the assessor must know what “willing sellers” and “willing buyers” are doing in the market place.  The Assessor must also keep current on cost of construction in the area and any changes in zoning, financing, and economic conditions which may affect property values.  The assessor uses the three nationally recognized appraisal approaches to value, those being cost, income, and market.  This data is then correlated into a final value estimated by the appraiser.  After your appraisal has been made, the appropriate percentage of value required by law is calculated as your “assessed value.

Q- What is Fair Market Value?

A- “Fair Market Value” is the price for property which would be agreed upon between a willing and informed buyer and a willing informed seller under usual and ordinary circumstances: it shall be the highest price estimated in terms of money which property will bring if exposed for sale on the open market with reasonable time allowed to find a purchaser who is buying with knowledge of all the uses and purposes to which the property is best adapted and for which it can be legally used. 

Q- How are taxes calculated?

A- Taxes are based on millages, bond issues, and fees that have been voted by registered voters in the various districts which have been established by the Legislature or Constitution.  The tax monies collected for the districts go to pay for schools, roads, law enforcement, and other services that the taxpayers demand and desire from local government.  To calculate the taxes on your property, you take the assessed value, which is the percentage of fair market value, and multiply it by the appropriate tax or millage rate to arrive at the amount due.  If, as an example, you have 1000 of taxable assessed value and the appropriate tax rate is 40 mills, you would pay $1000 X 0.40= $40 in taxes.

Q- How can my taxes increase?

A- When additional taxes are voted by the people, and individual’s property tax bill will increase.  Also, when market value increases, naturally so does the assessed value.  If you were to make improvements to your existing property, for instance, add a garage, and additional room, or a swimming pool, the “fair market value” and, therefore, the assessed value would also increase.  People make value by the transactions in the market place. The assessor simply has the legal and moral responsibility to study those transactions and appraise your property accordingly. 

Q- What if I disagree with the assessor’s value of my property?

A- As a taxpayer, you have certain legal responsibilities to furnish correct information on your property to the assessor’s office.  If you have compiled with these legal responsibilities, you are entitled to question the values placed on your property.  If your opinion of the value of your property differs from the assessors, by all means go to the office and discuss the matter.   Be prepared to show evidence that their valuation is too high.  The staff will be glad to answer your questions about the assessor’s appraisal, explaining how it was done.  The assessor’s office must rely on the property owner for information, and you can help by providing accurate data. If, after discussing the matter with the assessor, a difference of opinion still exists, you may appeal the decision to the county equalization board.  If the equalization board, after hearing your petition, agrees with the assessor you may appeal this decision to: 1) County Court, 2) Civil Circuit Court or 3) Arkansas Supreme Court.

Q- What is the Homestead Credit & Amendment 79?

A- Amd 79 is referred to as the "taxpayers bill of rights" was voted in by the voters in 2000.  It gives a credit on your tax bill for your PRIMARY place of residence.  When it was first voted in the credit was up to $300 off then increased by legislation to $350 and again amended and increased by legislation in 2019 session for a credit up to $375 to reflected on your 2019 tax bill.


Q- How do I qualify and apply for the Homestead Credit?

A- To qualify for the credit you MUST be the legal owner or legal interest in the property and it MUST be your primary place of residence.  To apply you need go to Assessors office and fill out the Homestead Credit letter from the Assessors office showing your name as owner.  Also if you are over 65 or disabled you could qualify for a freeze on your assess value of the home that you are claiming the credit.  MUST have proof of age or disability to get the freeze.
The state agency that governs the assessors offices has changed their name to Arkansas Assessment Coordination Division (AACD) and their new website to be referenced is 

Additional Real Estate needs online are: and 

Important Calendar Information regarding your Assessment of Property:

January 1-May 31—Assessment of Personal Property or a 10% penalty if assessed late

July 1—Deadline for appraising and assessing all real property

August 1-September 1—Dates for appealing assessments and appraisals with the equalization board

October 15—Taxes are due or 10% penalty and publishing costs are assessed

To view your taxes online visit

Treasurer—Leta Willis

The County Treasurer’s duties include but not limited to the following:

1.    Insure that all funds are fully collateralized at each banking institution

2.    Receipt all funds into the proper account

3.    Record all county expenditures

4.    Insure that all funds are invested with a solid banking institution

5.    Submit reports to the various offices

6.    Disburse funds to the tax units

7.    Prepare court orders for the transfer of funds

8.    Submit a monthly financial report to the Quorum Court and other Elected Officials

9.    Reconcile bank statements

10. Submit a year-end report of the county’s financial status for print to the local newspaper

Collector—Leta Willis

Services Offered:

We prepare your tax statements and collect and process your tax payments. We also have a link where you can pay your taxes online to avoid long lines in the office or mailing them in.

Quorum Court

County Judge—Herman H. Houston

County Courts:

The County Judge has jurisdiction in the county court. 14-14-1105(a) The General Assembly determines that all powers not vested in the county judge under the provisions of Arkansas Constitution, Amendment 55, to be exercised by the county judge as the chief executive officer of the county, shall continue to be exercised and administered by the county court, over which the judge shall preside. 

The county court has jurisdiction in the following matters: county taxes, paupers, jurisdiction in each other cases that may be necessary to the internal improvement and local concern of the county, and various other items.

County Clerk—Michelle Frost

Frequently Asked Questions: 

Q-How much is a marriage license?
A- $60.00

Q- What do you have to have to get married?

A- In order to get a marriage license you must be 18 years old, have a valid driver’s license or original birth certificate.

Q- How long do I have to use the license?

A- You have 60 days to use the license and 60 days from date of marriage to bring it back and have it recorded. 


Other Sites that will assist you with election questions or Court questions are:

Secretary of State

Administrative Office of the Courts

Department of Health

Emergency 9-1-1

The Johnson County 9-1-1 Department provides a valuable service to those living in and/or passing through Johnson County.  If you dial 9-1-1, you will get a qualified dispatcher on the phone that will assist you with your emergency needs.  9-1-1 also provides you with a Smart 911 system that allows you to provide the dispatcher with vital medical and personal information that could be needed during an emergency.  Check our links to sign-up for Smart911.  All 9-1-1 calls are routed through the 9-1-1 dispatch center and transferred to the appropriate agency. 

Not only does Johnson County 9-1-1 provide you with emergency communications, but 9-1-1 also provides its residents and business with proper 9-1-1 addresses.  When you build a new home or move one in, contact the office to get your 9-1-1 address established.  In doing this, your address will be placed in the 9-1-1 system and will be available to dispatches in the event that you call 9-1-1.  This assists emergency personnel with finding your location and getting to you as quickly as possible.

Along with addressing and location information, the 9-1-1 department also maintains the County and Private Road signs.  If you notice a sign down or missing, please feel free to call us with the road type, number, and location to have it put back up or replaced.  Signage within the county is a major priority to ensure that emergency personnel are able to find you.

Sheriff’s Office

Some of the services provided by the Sheriff's Office includes civil paper service, patrol, criminal investigations, court bailiff, traffic and criminal enforcement, narcotics investigations, and a host of other activities.  

We have an interactive website with a Facebook link which allows us to post press releases, sex offender notifications, and most wanted information.  

For additional information plesae visit us at 

Surveyor-Jimmy Higby

The Surveyor's office is not only for county use but is also available for personal use. They offer a number of services including: flood zone determination, elevation certificates, LOMA applications, property line surveys, right of way or easement surveys, flag property lines or corners, and write property/easement descriptions.  

Juvenile Department

Emergency Management

Information about Emergency Managment can be found at

District Court

Veterans Office

We provide several different services including: assisting veterans in obtaining their DD-214 (discharge papers) and filling out claim applications for benefits.  We also help explain all of the benefits that veterans qualify for and how they can obtain them.  

Another service that we provide is the ability to assist veteran's families with applying for death benefits.  

Helpful links for Veterans are:

Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs (ADVA)

Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)


American Legion

Veterans of Foreign Wars


The following is a list of prices and requirements for the Landfill:




Class 1-4 - Weighed per ton        Johnson County- $52.00     Out of County - $57.00      

Minimum $10





Road Department

The road department offers numerous services to the citizens of Johnson County.  These services range from grading, graveling, brush hogging, patching pot holes, installing drainage culverts, and widening and reconstructing roads that are going to be paved.  The road department also assists in clearing roads during storms and winter weather.  

For any questions or concerns please contact the Johnson County Judge's Office at 479-754-2175.

Public Library

We offer a number of services at our library.  We have numerous items available for checkout.  These items include books, audio, videos, magazines, fishing poles, and video games.  We also offer a number of online databases that we make readily available to the public.  

Another service that we offer is if there is a specific item you are searching for and we do not own it we will try and borrow it from another library system.  

How do you obtain a library card?

To obtain a free regional library card a patron must present 2 forms of ID which have a current address.  Examples include a driver's license, a utuility bill, or a piece of mail, and a photo ID.  The photo ID can double as one form of the address ID.  Patrons under the ages of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian's signature to obtain a library card and the parent/guardian must be present with the required ID.  

Visit us at:

Facebook -- Arkansas River Valley Regional Library System

Pinterest -- Arkansas River Valley Regional Library System

Arkansas Department of Health, Johnson County

The Health Department offers a number of services.  We offer clinical services which include: breast care, family planning, flu shots, immunizations (excluding flu shots), maternity, sexually transmitted diseases, tuberculosis skin test (Health Department Employees and massage therapist only, and WIC.  

Another type of service we offer is environmental services which include: food service establishment inspections, on-site wastewater system permits, swimming pool inspections, and dog bite investigations. 

In-Home services are also available.  These services include: Elders choice, home health, hospice, personal care, and maternal/infant visits.  

The Health Department also handles all of the prevention and control of communicable disease investigations. 

Section 8 Housing Agency

With this program we are able to implement the housing choice voucher program.  This program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford descent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.  Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments.  

How do I apply?

If you are interested in applying for a voucher, contact the local Housing Agency.  For further assistance, please contact the local HUD office in the jurisdiction in which you plan to reside.

For additional information:

Fire Services


Area Covered



RFD 1 Ludwig/Mt Vernon/Stillwell Craig Beerman 479-518-1827
RFD 2 Woodland/Harmony Wayne McCartney 479-214.2803
RFD 3 Hagarville/Minnow Creek Mike Morgan


RFD 4 Hartman Jeff Cole 479-774-1031
RFD 5 Flat Rock/Piney James Ruble 479-885-3633
RFD 6 Ozone/Salus Gregg Rainey 479-292-6608
RFD 7 Lutherville/Holman Gary Crotts 479-970-7644
RFD 8 Hunt/Horsehead Larry Huff 479-497-1259
RFD 10 Oark/Yale Thomas Mingo 479-292-3765
RFD 11 Oak Grove/Batson Larry McCartney 479-497-1946
Lamar Lamar Kaven McCarley 479-885-9436
Knoxville Knoxville Allen Brown


Coal Hill Coal Hill Brad Kent 479-979-4992
Clarkville Clarksville Clarke Gray 479-754-3524